Saturday, March 28, 2009

IWH: Easter Sunday and Crepes

As do most people, my family and community I grew up in had traditions that they followed every year. My favorite one by far was the Easter Sunday brunch and the crepes they always served. From the time of my first memories I can remember that every Easter Sunday we had a brunch at the church and every year we had crepes. There were a lot of things that changed throughout the years. The time of the service, the order- whether we would eat first or have the service first- whether we would eat inside or out, the length of the service; but one thing never changed - crepes. These wonderful, delightful cakes were the most scrumptious things served and we kids looked forward to eating them all year long. We had crepes with fruit filling topped with whipped cream. We had them with lemon juice and powdered sugar. We had them rolled up with just whipped cream (not a popular thing with the parents), and we even had them just plain. They were so wonderful! Every year the line by the crepe platter was very long and once you reached the platter you filled up your plate so that you had some left over just in case all the adults gobbled them up before you could come back for seconds. Hehe. It makes me laugh to remember it! When I was about nine or ten my cousin and I would help my uncle, the designated crepe-maker, make the crepes. We would get up early Easter Sunday morning and would get all the ingredients out of the fridge. Then we would add them all to the blender and push the button, creating a goopy soup that would be cooked into glorious crepes. I remember the first time I helped with this. I was so shocked that disgusting things such as sour cream and cottage cheese were blended together to make such a yummy dish. I asked my uncle three times if he was sure these were the right ingredients. He just laughed and said, "Why don't you wait and see when they are done." Of course, being my skeptical self, I did. When the first one was off the griddle my cousin and I split it in half and started eating. It was SO good. My uncle had been right after all! This nasty concoction has turned into the divine "pancakes" I loved so much. *Side note: I learned right then and there that it's ok to put things you would have never thought of together. They just might make something great!* I never forgot how to make crepes and to this day they are my favorite breakfast food. When I close my eyes I can still smell them cooking and see them laid out on a platter with the fruit filling and whipped cream sitting there waiting for me to load my plate up and enjoy myself.

No comments: